Originally constructed in 1902 by the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company, the station served passengers for more than 80 years. In 1974 the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) assumed operation of all remaining Reading Co. passenger operations, including its tracks and stations. The building, once no longer used by rail passengers, was leased to a private party. In May 1989 a fire destroyed a large portion of the building’s interior and roof.
The Quakertown Train Station Historical Society Inc. was formed by a group of concerned area residents to stabilize the burnt out structure. The task of restoring the structure to its original condition was undertaken next through numerous fundraising events and grants.
The restored Quakertown Train Station now displays the same rich wood finishes and ornate chandeliers as were enjoyed by railway passengers a century ago.